International Data Privacy Day – 28 January 2021
January 28, 2021
- Google was fined £91m over ad-tracking cookies ( 10 December 2020)
- Disabled children's names revealed in the council's email ( 23 November 2020)
- Big law firm fined £10,000 for a data security breach (7 November 2020)
- Renowned Hotel was fined £18.4m for the data breach that hit millions (30 Oct 2020)
- A point-of-sale system of marijuana dispensaries across the US. disclosed personal information belonging to over 85,000 patients ( 23rd Jan 2020)
- Check account privacy settings on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other social media platforms.
- Use messaging apps with end to end encryption.
- Don't use a weak password.
- Review permissions for mobile apps.
- Protect people's privacy and personal data like it's your own.
Top 5 Tips for Enterprises:
- Always make sure the ‘record of processing activities’ document is up to date.
- Do not ignore security updates/patch updates.
- Whenever there is any change in process/product, carry out a data protection on impact assessment to ensure there is a minimum impact on personal data.
- Always keep the personal information complete, accurate, and up-to-date.
- Ensure a robust breach management/incident management system within the organization.
- Perform an independent and thorough assessment of the data privacy maturity of the organization.
- Portray a data flow diagram with the control design for the complete data life cycle.
- Map the data privacy controls against best data privacy standards and regulations.
- Implement data privacy controls on behalf of the client by developing data privacy policies and procedures. Data protection impact.
- Assessments, annual assessments, and related guidelines assist in the implementation of privacy laws.